- 1 When did Indian capital shifted from Calcutta to Delhi?
- 2 Why did the British shift their capital to New Delhi?
- 3 Who was first Viceroy of India?
- 4 Who designed the city of Delhi?
- 5 When did the British gain control of Delhi?
- 6 Why did the British choose Calcutta?
- 7 Which is the 29th state in India List?
- 8 Which is the 29th state in India?
- 9 Who was last Viceroy of India?
- 10 Who was the best Viceroy of India?
- 11 Which viceroy has longest tenure in India?
When did Indian capital shifted from Calcutta to Delhi?
The foundation of Delhi was laid at the Coronation Durbar of 1911 by King George V as the Capital of British India. Prior to this Calcutta served as the capital. Shifting of the Capital from Calcutta to Delhi was led by two major factors: Indian Councils Act of 1909.
Why did the British shift their capital to New Delhi?
Calcutta (now Kolkata) was the capital of India during the British Raj until December 1911. The anti-colonial sentiments amongst public leading to complete boycott of British goods forced the colonial government to reunite the Bengal partition and immediate shift of the capital to New Delhi.
Who was first Viceroy of India?
Government of India Act 1858 passed which changed the name of post-Governor General of India by Viceroy of India. The Viceroy was appointed directly by the British government. The first Viceroy of India was Lord Canning.
Who designed the city of Delhi?
EDWIN LUTYENS, the Edwardian architect who planned New Delhi nearly a century ago, intended it to serve as a grand imperial capital capable of holding its own against Washington or Paris.
When did the British gain control of Delhi?
In 1803, the British gained control of Delhi after defeating the Marathas.
Why did the British choose Calcutta?
Calcutta was established in the year 1686 as a result of the expansion plans of the British Raj. On August 24, 1686, Job Charnock, who was believed to be the founder of Calcutta first came to the village of Sutanuti as a representative of the British East India Company to establish a factory.
Which is the 29th state in India List?
India is a union of States and Union Territories for the purposes of administration, India is divided into 29 States ( Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Goa, Gujarat, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Orissa,
Which is the 29th state in India?
Telangana was created on 2 June 2014 as ten former districts of north-western Andhra Pradesh.
Who was last Viceroy of India?
That man was Lord Louis Mountbatten, the last Viceroy of British India.
Who was the best Viceroy of India?
Top 15 British Viceroys of India
- Viceroy # 1. Lord Canning as First Viceroy, (1858-62):
- Viceroy # 2. Lord Elgin (1862-63):
- Viceroy # 3. Sir John Lawrence, (1864-69):
- Viceroy # 4. Lord Mayo, (1869-72):
- Viceroy # 5. Lord Northbrook, (1872-76):
- Viceroy # 6. Lord Lytton, (1876-80):
- Viceroy # 7.
- Viceroy # 8.
Which viceroy has longest tenure in India?
Victor Alexander John Hope, 2nd marquess of Linlithgow, (born Sept. 24, 1887, Abercorn, West Lothian, Scot. —died Jan. 5, 1952, Abercorn), British statesman and longest serving viceroy of India (1936–43) who suppressed opposition to British presence there during World War II.