- 1 Why the British shifted the capital from Calcutta to Delhi?
- 2 When did capital shifted from Calcutta to Delhi?
- 3 Why was the Indian capital moved?
- 4 Who changed the capital of India from Kolkata to Delhi?
- 5 What is the oldest name of Delhi?
- 6 Who was first Viceroy of India?
- 7 Who shifted capital from Delhi to devagiri?
- 8 What is the capital of Bombay?
- 9 Who built Delhi?
- 10 Why is Delhi called Delhi?
- 11 Why did the British choose Calcutta?
- 12 Who ruled India in 1912?
- 13 Which part of India is Delhi?
- 14 Which is the most beautiful garden of Delhi?
Why the British shifted the capital from Calcutta to Delhi?
* Another main reason for the capital shift was the location of Delhi. Calcutta was situated in the eastern coastal part of the country, while Delhi was located in the northern part. * The British government also believed that ruling India from Delhi was easier and more convenient than from Calcutta.
When did capital shifted from Calcutta to Delhi?
During the Delhi Durbar on 12th December 1911, George V, then emperor of India, along with the Queen made the announcement that Capital of India shifted from Calcutta to Delhi, while laying the foundation stone of Capital of India in Coronation Park.
Why was the Indian capital moved?
On this day December 12th, in 1911, India moves its capital from Calcutta to Delhi. One of the primary reasons for this move was because Calcutta had proven to be a breeding ground for revolution against the British Empire’s rule over India. Gandhi was part of these revolutions, though only through non-violence.
Who changed the capital of India from Kolkata to Delhi?
The foundation of Delhi was laid at the Coronation Durbar of 1911 by King George V as the Capital of British India. Prior to this Calcutta served as the capital. Shifting of the Capital from Calcutta to Delhi was led by two major factors: Indian Councils Act of 1909.
What is the oldest name of Delhi?
The history of the city is as old as the epic Mahabharata. The town was known as Indraprastha, where Pandavas used to live. In due course eight more cities came alive adjacent to Indraprastha: Lal Kot, Siri, Dinpanah, Quila Rai Pithora, Ferozabad, Jahanpanah, Tughlakabad and Shahjahanabad.
Who was first Viceroy of India?
Government of India Act 1858 passed which changed the name of post-Governor General of India by Viceroy of India. The Viceroy was appointed directly by the British government. The first Viceroy of India was Lord Canning.
Who shifted capital from Delhi to devagiri?
The one decision for which Muhammad bin Tughlaq, the 14th century sultan of Delhi, is most remembered, is the disastrous shifting of his capital from Delhi to Daulatabad in the Deccan, in present-day Maharashtra.
What is the capital of Bombay?
Mumbai (also known as Bombay, the official name until 1995) is the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra.
Who built Delhi?
The key architect on the committee was Sir Edwin Lutyens; it was he who gave shape to the city. The British moved to the partially built New Delhi in 1912, and construction was completed in 1931.
Why is Delhi called Delhi?
According to legend, the city was named for Raja Dhilu, a king who reigned in the region in the 1st century bce. The names by which the city has been known—including Delhi, Dehli, Dilli, and Dhilli, among others—likely are corruptions of his name.
Why did the British choose Calcutta?
Calcutta was established in the year 1686 as a result of the expansion plans of the British Raj. On August 24, 1686, Job Charnock, who was believed to be the founder of Calcutta first came to the village of Sutanuti as a representative of the British East India Company to establish a factory.
Who ruled India in 1912?
On February 14, 1912, George V gave a speech in the British Parliament about his visit to the imperial colonies and expressed his trust to India people and government he saw during his visit to India in 1911. On December 18–21, 1912 the India National (Missionary) Conference convened in Calcutta.
Which part of India is Delhi?
New Delhi is a city in northern India, and capital of the country. It is located in the National Capital Territory of Delhi, on the Yamuna River.
Which is the most beautiful garden of Delhi?
Top 10 Most Beautiful Gardens and Parks in Delhi
- The Garden of Five senses.
- National Indo-Africa Friendship Rose Garden.
- 3. Japanese Garden.
- Lodhi Garden.
- Buddha Garden.
- Talkatora Gardens.
- Central Park, Rajiv Chowk.
- Deer Park.